Governor Murphy conditionally vetoed Senate Bill 1370 today, which expands the use of Project Labor Agreements.
NJAPA, along with other industry partners, successfully lobbied to maintain the longstanding exemption for roadway and paving projects.
The legislation expands the permissible uses of Project Labor Agreements to water and sewer treatment plants and transportation projects where the primary work is a bridge.
To view a copy of the Governor’s recommendations, please click here.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Kevin Monaco, Executive Director, (732) 620-6223 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
NJDOT has released a Construction Advisory regarding project schedules and required updates. NJDOT has reminded their staff of the critical requirement of processing scheduling updates timely and have requested that industry also pay careful attention to completing our requirements within the appropriate timeframes as well.
To view the Advisory, click here.
NJAPA staff speaks with NJDOT senior staff every day to review, engage and advocate on a range of issues. Urgency in continuing to bid and award work, specifically paving work, is always the top agenda item. Recent discussions with the Director of Construction Services, Director of Operations & Maintenance, Assistant Commissioner of Capital Programs, Deputy Commissioner and Commissioner all confirm that NJDOT is working to bid all work originally planned for FY2020 (which ends June 30) within that same time frame.
Some notes regarding FY2020 work status as of 4/23/2020
• 65 projects bid with a low bid value of approximately $852 Million
• 17 of these projects were paving specific with a low bid value of approximately $176 Million
• 38 projects awarded thus far with an award value of approximately $651 Million
• 9 of these projects were paving specific with an award value of approximately $68 Million
• Awarded projects include approximately 470,000 asphalt tons, total asphalt tonnage awarded for FY2019 was 1.71 million, total for FY2018 was 1.27 million.
• 9 projects currently advertised through May 14, 3 of which have significant asphalt quantities, total asphalt tonnage of approximately 430,000 tons.
• 2 Additional Maintenance Roadway contracts to be bid in advance of May 31, 2020
• 14 Additional Capital Projects with a bid range of $128-$285 Million, 4 of which are paving specific with a bid value of $16-$35 Million.